Hello everyone! I have been working on a card just in time for the Chinese New Year on 5 February 2019. My husband is half-Chinese and although we do not normally celebrate this occasion as festive as the 1 January, we observe some of their traditions to usher in a new year of prosperity, success and good health
I wanted to declutter my stash so I decided to make use of some printed illustrations from Freepik.com instead of using stamps. I did use one of the piggy stamps from MFT Hog Heaven stamps to symbolize the year of the pig for 2019. They have a great selection of patterns and designs that you can download for personal use. I will put the link below so you can check it out.
Here are the supplies that I used:
Gold board paper
Scalloped circle die
Stitched circle die slightly smaller than the scalloped circle die
MFT Hog Heaven stamp and die
Alcohol markers (I use Winsor and Newton pro and brushmarkers)
Tape runner or glue
Scotch foam tape
I printed in a red cardstock an oriental design label and score and trim it at 8 1/2 x 10 1/4 and folded it in half. I stamped one of the piggy stamps from the MFT Hog Heaven, die cut and colored it using my Winsor and Newton markers. I also colored the boy and girl but I had to fussy cut it after. I also cut the printed sentiment.
I die cut the scalloped circle die in the gold board paper and the stitched circle die in the red cardstock using my big shot die cut machine. To assemble the card, I glued the circle die cuts together with the gold one at the bottom and with the red one on top. I then adhere the boy and girl in the center and then the piggy stamp with a small foam tape. I glued the happy new year greeting below the piggy stamp to complete the card
Chinese New Year @creativemuse
Chinese New Year @creativemuse
Thanks for dropping by and I wish you all a Happy Chinese New Year!
I would like to share with you a shaker card that I created for the New Year. It took me a while to make the card and to upload this post. In between grocery shopping for our traditional family party, attending reunions with friends and last minute gift-wrapping, I needed time away from all the craziness and this is what I have come up with.
Gold represents success, prosperity and wealth while the color white is associated with purity cleanliness and goodness. We all want to start the new year with a clean slate with the hope of success and prosperity to come. This became the inspiration for this card. It took several hours to complete.
Here are the supplies that I need:
Gold specialty board that I cut to 53/8 x 12 1/2
White specialty paper. I used a 270gsm
Champagne glass die and lace border die
Small sequins ( I used a gold star-shaped and white circle sequins)
Scissors, paper trimmer or guillotine trimmer
Die cutting machine.
I designed my own pattern paper using Adobe Illustrator. I am a novice in using this software.
I prepared the base of the card by cutting the gold board paper to 5″3/8 x 12″1/2 and I scored it in the middle and fold it. I cut at least 1″ 1/4 on the other side of the paper and die cut the edge using my lace border die. the card and printed it in the white specialty paper
I cut the pattern paper with the gold Christmas balls and fireworks design to 5″1/8 x 5″1/4. I used the lace border die to get the exact measurement of the edge and adhere it in the center. I used a scoring tool to eyeball the center of the gold board.
In making a shaker card, I normally use a foam tape to adhere the die cut in the card. The thickness of the foam tape gives enough space for the sequins to move around when you shake it. In this case, however, I had to improvise because the dies that I used was so thin with intricate swirls and curves. It would be difficult for me to cut the foam tape so I decided to make several die cuts (5 pieces for each one) I used a white cardstock for the base of the die, a gold specialty board paper which I placed on top and the plastic acetate which I cut in the shape of the champagne bottle and glass. The plastic acetate would serve as the cover of the shaker.
Now here is the challenging part. I had to adhere the die cuts together using a fine tip glue. It would have been easier if I had an adhesive transfer paper in my stash. My thinnest double sided tape was not thin enough for the die cuts and I could not risk using a tape runner as it might rip the intricate small details of the die cut when I drag the tape down. This did not work with the plastic acetate so I had to make the tape runner work by carefully dragging it down. I put the sequins inside the die cut and adhere it in the card.
It was a very tedious process but I got it right in the end. Every project is a learning process and hopefully, I will have something more “creative” to post very soon. Happy New Year everyone!